Our Lady's Promise To Saint Dominic Concerning The Rosary
Most of us are familiar with the tradition that goes back many centuries, and which has been accepted in the writings of many popes, as to the connection of St. Dominic with the beginnings of the Rosary devotion. According to tradition, the occasion was the Albigensian heresy which ravaged Christendom, particularly in southern France during the latter part of the 12th and the beginning of the 13th centuries. St. Dominic was distressed at his lack of success in his preaching in countering this heresy, and in his desperation turned to the Mother of God for help. She appeared to him and told him to use her Psalter (150 HAIL MARYS) in conjunction with his preaching of the mysteries of our salvation, as an instrument in combatting the great heresy of his day.
Over the centuries, inspired by the teachings of St. Dominic and his followers, especially the Blessed Alain de Roche and St. Louis de Montford, the Holy Rosary has been treasured in the Church. In a profound sense, it is a summary of the Christian Faith. It has long been associated with innumerable miracles of faith and healing.
The Mysteries Of The Holy Rosary
THE JOYFUL MYSTERIES: Mon & Sat
Lk 1:42, 45
The Presentation of Jesus in the Temple
The Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple
THE SORROWFUL MYSTERIES: Tue & Fri
The Agony of our Lord in the Garden
Mt 26:36, 39
The Scourging of our Lord at the Pillar
The Crowning of our Lord with Thorns
Jesus carries His Cross to Mt. Calvary
The Crucifixion and Death of our Lord
THE LUMINOUS MYSTERIES: Thu
The Baptism of Christ in the Jordan
The Wedding Feast at Cana
Jn 2:1- 12
The Announcement of the Kingdom
The Institution of the Eucharist
THE GLORIOUS MYSTERIES: Wed & Sun
The Resurrection of our Lord
The Ascension of our Lord into Heaven
The Descent of the Holy Spirit on the Apostles
The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The Coronation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
General Prayer Intentions During The Rosary :
- To ask for forgiveness (for ourselves) and to be forgiving (of others).
- For peace in the world, respect for human life and the family.
- For the increase of our Catholic faith, that identifies us as men and women striving for a better world, in accordance with the teaching of Jesus.
- For the unity of the families around the world in order to be an example of Christian life between parents and children and between our brothers and sisters in Christ.
- For our particular countries, asking God for His blessings for our leaders and people, and in particular, for the conversion of our societies to God.
- For the Pope and the priests, asking God to grant for them the gifts of perseverance and fidelity to their mission as leaders of the People of God.
- For the increase of vocations to the priesthood and to religious life.
- For the Second Coming of Christ and for all those people that commit themselves to the defense of the values of the faith, the family and human life.
- Asking God to grant us the Plenary Indulgences offered by the Church.
The Fifteen Promises Of The Virgin Mary To Those Who Recite The Rosary :
- Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall receive signal graces.
- I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.
- The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.
- It will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of people from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
- The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall not perish.
- Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying themselves to the consideration of its Sacred Mysteries shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise them in His justice, they shall not perish by an unprovided death; if they are just, they shall remain in the grace of God, and become worthy of eternal life.
- Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the Sacraments of the Church.
- Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plentitude of His graces; at the moment of death they shall participate in the merits of the Saints in Paradise.
- I shall deliver from purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.
- The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in Heaven.
- You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary.
- All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.
- I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire celestial court during their life and at the hour of death.
- All who recite the Rosary are my children, and brothers and sisters of my only Son, Jesus Christ.
- Devotion of my Rosary is a great sign of predestination.
Indulgences Obtained By Reciting The Rosary :
Some indulgences are granted by the Church to those who devoutly pray the Rosary. They may be gained by anyone, whether or not he is a member of the Rosary Confraternity or any other pious society, or whether or not he uses beads to which special blessings have been attached, or indeed whether he uses any beads at all.
A plenary indulgence can be gained, once a day, by praying the Rosary, privately or in common, before the Blessed Sacrament, exposed or in the tabernacle.
Partial indulgences are gained in praying the Rosary in other situations.
Blessings Obtained From Reciting The Rosary :
- Sinners are forgiven.
- Souls that thirst are refreshed.
- Those who are fettered have their bonds broken.
- Those who weep find happiness.
- Those who are tempted find peace.
- The poor find help.
- Religious are reformed.
- Those who are ignorant are instructed.
- The living learn to overcome pride.
- The dead (the Holy Souls) have their pains eased by suffrages.
Benefits Of The Rosary In Our Life :
- It gradually gives us a perfect knowledge of Jesus Christ.
- It purifies our souls, washing away sin.
- It gives us victory over all our enemies.
- It makes it easy for us to practice virtue.
- It sets us on fire with love of Our Lord.
- It enriches us with graces and merits.
- It supplies us with what is needed to pay all our debts to God and to our fellow men; and finally, it obtains all kinds of graces for us from Almighty God.
Mary, Queen of the Holy Rosary, pray for us.
Mary, Queen of Peace, pray for us.
Mary, Our Loving Mother, pray for us.